offsided.com
Skip to content

Brazilian defender Marcelo joins Bordeaux and Lebo Mothiba joins Strasbourg

Updated  

Aug-17 12:41 first published at 12:41 PM


Published on January 31, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.
Brazilian goalkeeper Marcelo has left OL for Bordeaux on a free transfer, hoping to bring his wealth of experience to bear as Les Girondins look to avoid relegation in the second half of the 2021-22 season, while South African striker Lebo Mothiba has joined Troyes on loan.
Bordeaux had been on the lookout for a central defender for several weeks before signing Marcelo. The 34-year-old Brazilian defender was available on the transfer market after his contract with Olympique Lyonnais was terminated amicably on Wednesday.

The goalkeeper, who has made 121 appearances for Les Gones in Ligue 1 Uber Eats, has signed a six-month contract with the 17th-placed club.

“The club is delighted to welcome this experienced player whose knowledge of Ligue 1 Uber Eats will be an asset to our squad,” the club said in a statement.
‘Rigour, experience, and leadership,’ says Lopes.
Meanwhile, Admar Lopes, Bordeaux’s sporting director, sees the signing of Vladimir Petkovi’s new number 15 as a significant step toward stabilizing the club during a difficult period.

“Marcelo is a well-known player, not only for his footballing abilities, but also for his character and leadership,” Lopes said. “In our conversations, I saw someone who was very motivated and eager to wear the Girondins de Bordeaux shirt. He is well-versed in Ligue 1 and will bring rigour, experience, and leadership on and off the field. We are overjoyed that Marcelo has decided to join us.”

Lebo Mothiba switches from Strasbourg to Troyes.

South African striker Lebo Mothiba extended his contract with Strasbourg until 2024 on Thursday, and the Alsatian club announced that he has been loaned to Troyes until the end of the season.

“RC Strasbourg Alsace and ESTAC Troyes have agreed to loan the South African striker to Troyes until the end of the 2021-22 season,” Le Racing said in a statement.

The 26-year-old South African international striker had a knee operation in the summer of 2020 and was out for several months before suffering a muscle injury last September. As a result, he has played very little in the last 18 months and is hoping to increase his playing time at Troyes, who are currently 16th in the league with only 20 goals scored in 22 games.

>> TRANSFERS: Every winter move

(Photo courtesy of Bordeaux)

Latest News
What are your top 10 Chelsea signings from the last 30 years?
News 4 hours ago

Chelsea’s relationship with the transfer market has been rocky over the last 30 years. With the arrival of co-owner Todd Boehly following the completion of his £4 billion takeover of the club from Roman Abramovich, life at Stamford Bridge is changing. This summer, the Blues spent more than any other Premier League club, signing eight

Gary Neville has blasted the living conditions for workers at the Qatar World Cup
News 5 hours ago

Gary Neville has slammed the working conditions at the Qatar World Cup. In a new Sky documentary, the Manchester United legend is shown being shocked by the conditions in which the workers who built the new stadiums for the tournament had to live. ‘It’s a portakabin with four curtains [sleeping areas] and two lockers on

Kounde and Araujo injury news, Xavi Hernandez’s solutions, and more in Saturday’s Barcelona news
News 5 hours ago

Injuries to Kounde and Araujo – FC Barcelona Jules Kounde has a biceps femoris injury in his left hamstring, according to tests on Saturday morning. As a result, he is out of the running until he recovers. FC Barcelona international schedule – September 24th – FC Barcelona Our look at how Barcelona’s players fare with

Australia face New Zealand in their final friendly before the 2022 World Cup in Qatar
News 17 hours ago

After giving his World Cup qualifying heroes a chance to thank their home fans with a 1-0 win over New Zealand on Thursday, Socceroos head coach Graham Arnold is now using the second friendly in Auckland to put his squad’s depth and versatility to the test. With almost all of his senior players expected to

England’s World Cup squad will be eating beans and cakes in Qatar
News 23 hours ago

Baked beans and Jaffa Cakes will fuel England’s players in their quest to win the World Cup for the first time since 1966. When Gareth Southgate’s squad arrives in Qatar for the tournament, which begins in November, they will stay at the five-star Souq Al-Wakra Hotel. They’ll be able to eat the best meat and

Related News