offsided.com
Skip to content

Frenkie de Jong rejects Barcelona’s salary cut request

Updated  

Aug-09 13:11 first published at 13:11 PM


In the midst of a tense standoff between the parties, the Dutch international midfielder has rejected desperate requests from Barcelona for him to accept a salary cut. Barcelona wishes to offload Frenkie de Jong this month. In the midst of an ongoing dispute with the club, Frenkie de Jong has rejected desperate requests from Barcelona to drastically reduce his wages. The Catalan club reportedly set a deadline for any potential transfer of Dutch international De Jong until the end of the week – the start date of the current La Liga season – with both Manchester United and Chelsea pursuing a deal. It comes after United manager Erik ten Hag told those in charge to be patient with a deal after holding new talks with the player. Barcelona has agreed to a new salary cut with veteran central defender Gerard Pique and met with Sergio Busquets last week to discuss a similar arrangement. The club has been unable to register five new signings and two contract renewals with La Liga this summer, leaving them in a race against the clock to raise new funds. De Jong is the highest-paid player at the Camp Nou, and he is owed an additional €17 million (£14.3 million) in amoritizations and back payments this year. The club is concerned that his earnings this year will be a massive financial hit, complicating their financial plans. The player’s agents, Ali Dursun and Hasan Centikaya, met with Barcelona officials last Wednesday and are urging the Dutch midfielder to fight for the money he is owed. Separate talks have also taken place between coach Xavi Hernandez and the player, and club president Joan Laporta has spoken with De Jong. According to Sport, the Dutch star is not interested in reducing his salary, nor is he interested in leaving the club despite sustained interest from the English duo. His current priority is to keep his current arrangement and fulfill his contract. Let Your Voice Be Heard! Who will De Jong play for this season: Barcelona, Manchester United, or Chelsea? Tell us what you think in the comments section.

De Jong and Xavi were unable to reach an agreement on a salary cut (

(Photo: Getty Images)

In a desperate attempt to raise funds this summer, Barcelona president Laporta oversaw the sale of 25% of its TV rights to Sixth Street, as well as a 25% stake in Barça Studio to socios.com, for a fee of around €100 million. However, those ‘economic levers’ (as the club refers to them) have proven insufficient in bringing in new La Liga signings Andreas Christensen, Franck Kessie, Raphinha, Robert Lewandowski, and Jules Kounde. The same registration problem affects Ousmane Dembele and Sergi Roberto, both of whom signed new contracts this summer. Barcelona is now poised to activate their fourth ‘economic lever,’ selling up to 49% of Barcelona studios. It is expected that this, along with the club’s planned wage cuts, will allow them to register the seven players. However, the club is also looking to sign more players, including Chelsea winger Marcos Alonso and Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva. De Jong recently liked an Instagram post criticizing Barcelona’s treatment of him this summer, as the club continues to make high-profile signings while he is still owed money under his contract. Gary Neville has previously urged De Jong to seek legal counsel in light of the Catalan giants’ treatment of him. Continue Reading
Continue Reading

Latest News
The Qatar 2022 World Cup will be a “dream” for players, says David Beckham
News 1 day ago

According to former England captain and Qatar 2022 ambassador David Beckham, the upcoming winter FIFA World Cup in Qatar will feature a higher level of football than previous World Cups. Beckham, one of the most decorated English players in history, believes the World Cup tournament’s timing will encourage players to compete in peak condition. “Players

England’s strongest XI for the 2022 World Cup: Jordan Pickford
News 3 days ago

England has numerous talented players at every position and is one of the favorites to win the World Cup in 2022. England is widely regarded as the home of football, but the English national team has only won the World Cup once, in 1966. This article will go over England’s strongest XI, which could help

Match report and reaction to FC Barcelona’s win at Mallorca in LaLiga
News 3 days ago

FC Barcelona’s post-match session at Ciutat Esportiva After the away win in Mallorca, Xavi Hernández’s squad trains on a sunny Sunday morning. Lewandowski scores at breakneck speed – FC Barcelona Robert Lewandowski scores goals at an incredible rate. His start in LaLiga for FC Barcelona has been incredible; the number 9 has now scored nine

Nick Pope is the clear number two for England behind Jordan Pickford
News 1 week ago

Nick Pope was one of the few England players to take any credit from Friday’s defeat to Italy. The Newcastle goalkeeper had no chance with the goal and was otherwise performing admirably. Indeed, when it came to rating the England players in the 1-0 defeat, BBC Sport viewers ranked only Jude Bellingham ahead of Nick

Gianni Infantino: Qatar World Cup will be the best in history
News 1 week ago

The World Cup in Qatar will be the best in history, according to Infantino. 12:39 a.m. on September 26, 2022 Qatar OTHER STORIES Infantino, Gianni A A A Text Size: A A A Doha FIFA President Gianni Infantino welcomed football fans from all over the world to Qatar for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022,

Related News