offsided.com
Skip to content

Manchester United and Chelsea are both interested in signing Frenkie de Jong

Updated  

Jul-26 14:46 first published at 14:46 PM


Manchester United and Chelsea are both interested in signing Frenkie de Jong. (Photos courtesy of Getty) According to reports, Frenkie de Jong will only agree to leave Barcelona this summer to join Chelsea, but the Blues are hesitant to match Manchester United’s offer for the midfielder.
De Jong is currently on a pre-season tour of America with Barcelona’s first team, and he met with the club’s hierarchy earlier this week.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta and Nou Camp manager Xavi hoped the talks would resolve the situation, but De Jong’s future remains uncertain.
De Jong has made 140 appearances for Barcelona since joining from Ajax in 2019 and is eager to continue playing a key role in the club’s rebuilding under Xavi.
However, Barcelona, which is in dire financial straits, sees De Jong as an ideal player to sell, as his departure could raise around 80 million euros.
The situation is further complicated by the fact that Barcelona still owes De Jong around 17 million euros in deferred wages and will require him to take a pay cut if he stays.
According to Sport, De Jong is ‘confused’ and ‘hurt’ by the developments, especially given Barcelona’s continued spending on summer signings.

De Jong’s preference is to remain in Barcelona. (Image courtesy of Getty) It is also claimed that if De Jong is forced to leave Barcelona, he will only join Chelsea because he has reservations about joining Manchester United.
De Jong worked under new United manager Erik ten Hag at Ajax, which was one of the reasons United was said to be leading the race to sign him.
According to reports in Spain, De Jong still has reservations about the Red Devils and would seek a move to Stamford Bridge if he was exiled by Barcelona.
Chelsea is interested in signing De Jong but is unwilling to meet Barcelona’s asking price of 80 million euros.
Despite Blues manager Thomas Tuchel pleading with the club to back him up with more new signings and warning Todd Boehly that the team might not be ready for their Premier League opener next weekend, the team is still not ready.
‘My season analysis does not change as a result of this game,’ Tuchel said after Chelsea’s 4-0 loss to Arsenal. ‘Unfortunately, it demonstrated my point.

Joan Laporta, President of Barcelona (Image courtesy of Getty) ‘The last week demonstrates my point. I would much rather not be correct. ‘I tried everything to prove myself wrong, but at the moment I believe I was correct.’ I look at last season and parts of the game where we struggled, parts of the season where we struggled, and then we got sanctioned and players left us, and some players are attempting to leave us, and this is where we are. So we issued an urgent call for quality players, a large number of quality players. We have two quality players, but we are not competitive in this manner. Unfortunately, it was visible today.’ MORE: Graeme Souness blasts Manchester United’s board and says two players sum up the club’s decline MORE: Juventus identifies Manchester United star as possible replacement for top transfer target
Check out our sports page for more stories like this.
Metro Sport can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Latest News
Arsenal legend William Gallas predicts Liverpool will miss out on the Premier League title this season
News 4 mins ago

LARGE GALLON 11:37, 12 Aug 2022 11:37 a.m., August 12, 2022 FORMER Arsenal defender William Gallas has made an astonishing prediction about this season’s Premier League top four. The 44-year-old played for Arsenal for four years before moving on to Chelsea and Tottenham. 1 Gallas played for Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham during his career. And

Qatar World Cup 2022 opening ceremony to be held before England v Iran match
News 59 mins ago

12th of August, 2022 posted at 8:05 a.m. On May 23, 2022, the Fifa World Cup trophy is displayed during a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum 2022 (WEF) in the Alpine resort of Davos, Switzerland. Reuters The opening ceremony for this year’s World Cup in Qatar will now take place before the host

Iker Bravo to join Real Madrid from Bayer Leverkusen?
News 1 hour ago

Real Madrid have reportedly agreed a deal with Bayer Leverkusen to sign former Barcelona prospect Iker Bravo. Real Madrid have completed the signing of 17-year-old Spanish striker Iker Bravo from German giants Bayer Leverkusen, according to reputed Spanish journalist Gerard Romero. Once the transfer is finalized, the former Barcelona youth prospect is expected to join

The transfer window is closed and the door is still open for Cristiano Ronaldo.
News 2 hours ago

As Chelsea’s transfer stance remains consistent, Manchester United keeps hinting on social media that Cristiano Ronaldo will stay for the rest of the summer. The Portuguese were eager to leave at the start of the summer in order to continue his love affair with the Champions League. However, a lack of options has left the

A look at the latest transfer news and speculation from football.london
News 3 hours ago

Manchester United are considering a move to Serie A for a new striker as a precaution against the futures of Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcus Rashford, according to Friday’s Transfer Gossip, while Nottingham Forest have made a £20 million winger bid. TAMMY ABRAHAM APPEARS ON MAN UTD RADAR Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Roma

Related News