Skip to content

Ryan Giggs resigns as Wales manager

Updated

Jun-21 14:11 first published at 14:11 PM

Ryan Giggs, a former Manchester United player, has resigned as Wales manager with immediate effect. Giggs has been on leave since November 2020 and will stand trial in Manchester on August 8 for domestic violence. This comes after Wales qualified for the Qatar 2022 World Cup while he is awaiting trial on domestic abuse accusations. Between August 2017 and November 2020, the 48-year-old is accused of controlling and coercive behavior toward his former girlfriend Kate Greville.

Giggs has rejected the charges and has pled not guilty to all of them.

Wales interim manager Rob Page has led his country to their first World Cup berth since 1958, and Giggs has decided to hand over control ahead of the global competition.

“It has been an honour and a joy to lead my country, but it is only right that the Wales FA, coaching staff, and players prepare for the tournament with confidence, clarity, and without speculation around their head coach’s position,” Ryan Giggs said in a statement on Monday.

“During my three years as head coach of the national team, I was lucky enough to experience several amazing events. I am pleased of my accomplishments and will always remember those wonderful moments. I’m disappointed that we won’t be able to continue our trip together because I am confident that this great bunch will bring honor to the country at our first World Cup since 1958.”

“As has been widely reported, I have pled not guilty to the criminal allegations before Manchester Crown Court,” Giggs said, according to goal.com.

“While I am faith in our legal system, I had hoped that the case would be heard sooner so that I could continue my managing duties.”

Promoted

“The lawsuit has been delayed due to no fault of anyone’s. I don’t want the country’s World Cup preparations to be harmed, destabilized, or jeopardized in any way by the ongoing attention on this subject. I intend to return to management at a later period, and I look forward to cheering on our national team with you in the stands “He went on to say.

After Andriy Yarmolenko’s own goal from a Gareth Bale free-kick, Wales qualified for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. After Ukraine’s Yarmolenko headed into his own net in the play-off final, Wales have qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1958.

Latest News
The Qatar 2022 World Cup will be a “dream” for players, says David Beckham
News 1 day ago

According to former England captain and Qatar 2022 ambassador David Beckham, the upcoming winter FIFA World Cup in Qatar will feature a higher level of football than previous World Cups. Beckham, one of the most decorated English players in history, believes the World Cup tournament’s timing will encourage players to compete in peak condition. “Players

England’s strongest XI for the 2022 World Cup: Jordan Pickford
News 3 days ago

England has numerous talented players at every position and is one of the favorites to win the World Cup in 2022. England is widely regarded as the home of football, but the English national team has only won the World Cup once, in 1966. This article will go over England’s strongest XI, which could help

Match report and reaction to FC Barcelona’s win at Mallorca in LaLiga
News 3 days ago

FC Barcelona’s post-match session at Ciutat Esportiva After the away win in Mallorca, Xavi Hernández’s squad trains on a sunny Sunday morning. Lewandowski scores at breakneck speed – FC Barcelona Robert Lewandowski scores goals at an incredible rate. His start in LaLiga for FC Barcelona has been incredible; the number 9 has now scored nine

Nick Pope is the clear number two for England behind Jordan Pickford
News 1 week ago

Nick Pope was one of the few England players to take any credit from Friday’s defeat to Italy. The Newcastle goalkeeper had no chance with the goal and was otherwise performing admirably. Indeed, when it came to rating the England players in the 1-0 defeat, BBC Sport viewers ranked only Jude Bellingham ahead of Nick

Gianni Infantino: Qatar World Cup will be the best in history
News 1 week ago

The World Cup in Qatar will be the best in history, according to Infantino. 12:39 a.m. on September 26, 2022 Qatar OTHER STORIES Infantino, Gianni A A A Text Size: A A A Doha FIFA President Gianni Infantino welcomed football fans from all over the world to Qatar for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022,