offsided.com
Skip to content

Security measures for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar

Updated  

Jun-26 10:41 first published at 10:41 AM


Forty million people applied to attend the World Cup, and approximately 1.2 million tickets have been bought.

As part of the alliance’s tight collaboration with Doha, NATO announced on Thursday that it will help Qatar with security preparations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The Joint CBRN Defence Centre of Excellence of NATO and Slovakia will provide training against threats presented by chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) materials, according to a statement from the North Atlantic alliance.

As part of the security assistance, Romania will also provide training on how to protect VIPs and thwart threats from improvised explosive devices.

It said, “A first training session addressing Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear dangers was held in Slovakia this past May.”

Providing security during the World Cup

The delegations from Qatar and Turkey met earlier this month in Doha to talk about security issues related to hosting the important tournament later this year.

Suleiman Soylu, the interior minister for Turkey, announced in January that 3,250 security personnel would be temporarily dispatched to Qatar for the athletic event. 3,000 riot police officers, 100 Turkish special forces, 50 bomb detection dogs and their handlers, 50 bomb experts, and other personnel will all be on duty for around 45 days throughout the tournament.

According to Al Jazeera, Soylu additionally stated that Ankara had instructed 677 Qatari security officials in 38 distinct professional fields. However, he omitted to elaborate.

Prior to the event, an agreement to collaborate on planning was struck by the interior ministries of Turkey and Qatar. One such endeavor is Turkey’s involvement in the World Cup 2022 security planning.

A team of cybersecurity specialists will reportedly be sent by Morocco to Qatar ahead of the World Cup, according to media outlets located in Rabat.

Morocco World News reported that Doha has asked Rabat for help in securing the important sporting event as part of its efforts to increase the two nations’ security collaboration.

Ben Wallace, the UK’s Secretary of State for Defense, said in late May that Britain’s Royal Air Force and Royal Navy will be responsible for counterterrorism law enforcement throughout the competition.

Wallace stated in a formal announcement that Britain and Qatar will “join forces to offer air policing throughout the skies.”

For a World Cup staged outside of the UK, this is the first time that Britain has offered this degree of security.

The Ministry of Defence will support Qatar with military capabilities to counter terrorism and other threats to the tournament through maritime security, operational planning, and command and control support, according to a defence source told The Telegraph in late May.

Latest News
GemXX Corporation Reports Positive Revenues and Net Income for the Second quarter of the Year
News 2 hours ago

Las Vegas, Nevada, August 16, 2022 (BUSINESS WIRE) — GEMXX Corporation (OTC: GEMZ) $GEMZ (“the Company”), a leader in the Ammolite Gemstone Mine to Market Segment, announces positive quarterly revenue results. The Company is highlighting significant accomplishments, laying the groundwork for aggressive growth in the coming year. “We are very pleased with the Company’s performance.”

The injury crisis at Luton Town continues to mount. Luton Town boss Nathan Jones says he is “pillaged” for making changes
News 2 hours ago

Harry Cornick was injured and missed Saturday’s 1-0 loss to Preston. Hatters manager Nathan Jones is becoming increasingly frustrated that his squad has already become’stretched’ in only the first month of the season. Last season, Luton Town’s play-off hopes were dashed after they were decimated by injuries that left them without a number of key

Harry Kane to sign new Tottenham contract in the next six months?
News 3 hours ago

(Photo courtesy of Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC/Getty Images) Jamie Redknapp, an ex-Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, has stated that he would not be surprised if Harry Kane signed a contract extension in the near future. Kane’s time at N17 has been filled with ups and downs over the last year or so. He had

Jamie Bynoe-Gittens has signed a new five-year contract with Borussia Dortmund, aged 18.
News 3 hours ago

Dortmund’s English forward Jamie Bynoe-Gittens (left) and Dortmund’s German forward Youssoufa Moukoko react during the game against SC on August 12, 2022, in Freiburg im Breisgau, southwestern Germany. — Subscribe to our Telegram channel and browser alerts to stay up to date on the latest news from AFP. Tuesday, August 16, 2022 6:02 PM MYT

Deutsche Telekom and FC Bayern Munich extend sponsorship deal until 2027
News 4 hours ago

German incumbent telecom Deutsche Telekom and FC Bayern Munich, the Bundesliga team with ten consecutive titles, have agreed to extend their 20-year partnership until 2027. The German duo announced that the deal will benefit the telecom operator’s brand popularity while also driving technological innovation in the game, though no specifics were provided. According to the

Related News